Today I brought in the solar jars I have had in the garden all Summer and discovered the wide range of results that they have produced.
The first photo shows some different items I put in with some Rhubarb from the garden. It is very hard to tell from this picture but they have actually taken on a very subtle yellow tinge (it's a bit clearer in the final shot...)
The second image is of the results of the kit I bought at Woolfest (containing logwood and madder). I love how differently the various yarns/fabrics have taken on the colour in different intensities and shades.
Finally the silk cap on the left in the third photo was dyed using rose petals and calendula petals.
The results of the purchased kit are a lot more obvious but I am happy with the couple I just threw together with what I had in the garden and store cupboard. I didn't have very high expectations as I didn't have what I needed to mordant the fabrics and yarns but I also wasn't willing to wait while I tried to source them, so for this attempt I am happy that they changed colour at all and I just congratulating myself for getting on with it rather than waiting for the perfect moment, which probably never would have happened!
In the mean time I have bought a copy of this book and plan to be a bit more informed (and stocked up) when it comes to next Summer. Now all I have to do is decide what I want to make with all that hand dyed loveliness...